Monday, October 15, 2007

Chapter 34

Tricia put her second cup of coffee down on a table and flopped down on a comfortable couch just outside the coffee bar. She flipped open her cell phone and dialed Matt’s number, wondering if talking on the phone was going to make her head hurt worse. She was starting to feel a little better and didn’t want to relapse.

“There’s my poker pro,” Matt said as he answered. “I was hoping you’d call soon. I have to leave to meet with a new customer in about ten minutes. I didn’t call because I thought maybe you’d had a late night. Have you met anybody there you could celebrate with?”

He sounded like he was in a good mood to Tricia but her old instincts clicked in when he asked the question about meeting anybody to celebrate with. She’d spent so long with him being paranoid about anything she did that it had made her paranoid about why he was asking. She no longer really thought that he had somehow been spying on her but old habits died hard. On the other hand she figured she really had done nothing wrong. Then she remembered what Jaime had told her she’d done before bed and blushed all over again. Well she didn’t really remember that so leaving it out couldn’t hurt.

She also thought about telling Matt about Jaime being here as well but was afraid of his reaction. If she left it out though and it came to light later she could see that causing a problem as well. In the end she decided that it would be better to not mention Jaime.

Over the next few minutes she told Matt about Sandy and Gary and Kevin as well as Carmen and Carolyn. She gave a brief edited description of the party Kevin had thrown.

“He did this just for you?” Matt asked, still sounding ok but Tricia thought a little of his old suspiciousness crept back into his voice.

“Not exactly I don’t think,” Tricia said, not really sure if it was true or not. “He is sort of a mentor to several players and many of them have been doing well. You’d probably like Kevin, he’s funny and a good teacher. I’ve learned a lot from him.”

“Hmmm,” Matt said in what Tricia thought was full suspicious mode. “I suppose these lessons have been in the privacy of your room?”

“Actually it was in his room,” Tricia quipped, her hangover causing her anger to flash. “Jesus Matt, give me a break here. For god’s sake he’s way younger than me and besides I think he’s only interested in me for my poker. He’s a businessman just like you. I have a feeling if I get a little better and get a good track record he may back me sometimes which could be a good deal for both of us. He’s no more looking to screw me then you are to screw any of your customers.”

“I’m sorry Tricia,” Matt said immediately, sounding genuinely contrite. “I was joking but I can see how you’d take it wrong. Honest though I was joking honey.”

Tricia was surprised that he apologized that fast and that sincerely. He virtually never did that. Part of the problem they had she thought was that he defended himself even when he knew he was dead wrong.

“I believe you Matt. Thank you for apologizing. I guess I should not have jumped on you like that but I do have one hell of a hangover.”

Matt chuckled. “Does that mean that the next time I tie one on with the guys maybe you’ll be a little sympathetic?”

“Depends,” Tricia said, unable not to smile. “If you invite me then maybe. If you just ditch me for the guys then maybe not.”

“Not fair,” Matt said, “You ditched me for this thing.”

Tricia rolled her eyes. Why was she discussing this? “Ok Matt, you get a freebie. We’re too old for this shit though you know?”

“Feeling your age this morning dear?” Matt asked sweetly and Tricia knew he was teasing her and smiling about it.”

“You’re damn right I am!” She laughed. Then she said, “Matt do you know how long it’s been since we had a conversation like this? Where we didn’t argue and just had fun?”

“I guess it’s been a while,” Matt agreed.

“It has. Do you think maybe this was good for us somehow?” Tricia asked.

“I guess. It hasn’t hurt.”

“How’s Matty? I will call him in a bit but I really miss him.”

“He misses you too but he’s having fun with your folks and they really seem to be enjoying him. I mentioned the idea that you might do this a few times a year and they seemed very receptive.”

“How was dad?” Tricia asked. He had always been a bit gruff with her and her brother and hard to please. That was what had led to the argument that had caused her brother to move away and have little contact with the rest of the family for so long.

“Surprisingly mellow with Matty,” Matt said, the surprise evident in his voice. “He was about the same with me but when Matty was in the room he seemed even more mellow toward me. I know he could be hard to please while you were growing up but even you said he mellowed after Andy left. Hell maybe he figures to try again with Matty. You know I was worried about that.”

“Yeah, you and me both,” Tricia said. “I wonder how he’s acting when you’re not around.”

“Matty seems happy Tricia. I’d say everything is fine.” Matt said.

“Well I think I’m coming home Tuesday anyway.”

“Tomorrow?” Matt asked, surprised. “I thought you said the main event was going to last until Wednesday and you would be home on Thursday?”

“It is but I decided not to play it.”

“As well as you did you wimped out?” Matt asked, disappointing Tricia that he seemed to think immediately that she’d just wimped out.

“I did not wimp out Matt,” Tricia said with a little more heat than she really intended. “I thought about it a lot and talked to some experienced players before I decided. It will be better for me to end on a positive note and use the money I’ve won as seed money for my bankroll. It will let me play the next time. I might even be ready to try some bigger cash games by the next time.”

“I really was counting on you coming home on Thursday,” Matt told her. “The house is still a mess and I won’t have time to clean up today. Besides I think your parents had plans with Matty. Why not just stick it out? Even if you don’t play the big event thing you could watch and learn something right? Isn’t that what you told me you planned to do?”

“Yeah I did. But I miss Matty, and you too.”

“And we miss you but you won’t get a chance to do this again for several months at least right? Wouldn’t it be better to see the big one and know what to expect next time?”

“Well Kevin and Carolyn said that wouldn’t matter that much but I admit I kind of want to.” Tricia said, feeling herself give in even while she wondered why Matt was seeming to push her to stay the whole time. “I sort of want to play some more cash games too. I was having fun and doing well but didn’t get to do much because of the tournaments.”

“Well there you go,” Matt said forcefully. “Stay and do all that. When you get back on Thursday me and Matty will be waiting for you.”

“Well ok,” Tricia said, not nearly as reluctantly as she sounded. Now that she’d decided to stay she was liking the idea more. “You will really have Matty there with you waiting for me when I get home?”

“If you let me know when you’ll be here I sure will honey.”

“I’ll call you when I leave Thursday morning and keep you up to date with my progress.” Tricia told him.

“I’ve got to run or I’m going to be late,” Matt said. “Have fun, but not too much fun ok?”

“Maybe just a little too much fun?” Tricia teased.

“Behave yourself, try to sleep in your own bed alone every night and don’t lose all that money you already won. I look forward to seeing you on Thursday. I’ll call you in the morning.”

Tricia hung up and stared out into the lobby thinking about the call. She could no longer tell if he was sounding strange or not. Why should she complain if he was being reasonable? Surely he wasn’t really trying to keep her away, after all she had said she wanted to stay for the entire thing, even the main event whether she played in it or not. Somewhat guiltily she admitted that a part of her did not want to leave. She’d had less than two weeks in this new world she had found. She liked it very much and despite Matty waiting at home, and Matt too she added somewhat guiltily as an afterthought, she liked this life she’d found.

She punched the button that dialed her parents’ house. Her mom answered and Tricia caught her up on events without mentioning her hangover. Her mom seemed very pleased for her success although Tricia got the impression she still didn’t exactly understand it. She regarded all gambling as the same Tricia knew and while she had not said it she thought it was something her daughter would be better off without. Then Tricia asked about Matty.

“He’s been a joy dear,” her mom told her. “Your dad and I have had so much fun with him. He misses you of course but he’s enjoying his time with Gramma and Grampa. Out of the blue your dad decided yesterday that we should all go to the Columbus Zoo tomorrow.”

“He did?” Tricia asked. That did not sound like her dad much. “It was his idea?”

“Indeed it was,” her mom confirmed. “Floored me too. He always acted like I was torturing him when I wanted us to take you kids somewhere.”

“I remember.”

“Well Matty will love it and I will too,” her mom said. “You’re not coming back until Thursday, right? I mean if you’re coming back tomorrow we could cancel it.”

Tricia chuckled. “I would not dream of depriving you of your trip to the zoo.”

“It’s for Matty dear.”

“Whatever you say mom,” Tricia said. “Matt doesn’t seem to want me to come back before Thursday either.”

“Now dear,” her mom said. “Don’t be seeing ghosts. He came by on his way back from the lake. He was tired but stopped by for a while and played with Matty and let Matty show him the things Grampa has been helping him build. You wait and see yourself.”

“Ok mom,” Tricia said. “It just seems strange why he’s suddenly seeming to like having me gone when he went so long wanting to know what I was doing every minute of every day.”

“Well dear that was kind of your own fault wouldn’t you say?” her mom said. “Maybe he’s forgiven you. You keep telling me how the counselor said he had to learn to trust you again. You’ve been behaving yourself there haven’t you? I have to tell you I wasn’t sure about you going off to spend a couple weeks there in a gambling den.”

“I’m fine mom.” Tricia said, knowing it was a bit of a white lie maybe. She had to smile at her mom’s misgivings about her going on this trip.

“Hon, I’ve got to run. Your dad, Matty and I are going into town. Your dad is pawing the ground waiting for me to wrap this up.”

Tricia laughed. “Ok mom. I can tell I’m not being missed. Have a good time.”

“Of course we miss you dear. Take care and we’ll see you when you get home. In the meantime stop worrying about Matty.”

Tricia hung up with a smile. There surely didn’t seem to be a barrier to her staying an extra few days. Might as well enjoy it she told herself. The first order of business, she decided would be to check out the tournament room and see who all she could find to talk to before the Main Event started.

No comments: